Thursday, February 28, 2008

Breakfast and beds

This past weekend the lady friend and I went down to Cape May for a little R&R. Little did we know during the planning of the trip that it's more of a summer locale. As a result, it was pretty much a ghost town while we were there. Though it was still a great time, it made me think about how sucky it must be to live there regularly. Especially as a kid.

Our first night out there we went to this bar for a late night snack and were able to witness the off-season nightlife. Needless to say, it was pretty lame - yet simultaneously funny. The fashions on these kids (I'd put them in the early 20's range) seemed stuck in a different era. For the guys, a little Bud Bundy meets Kevin from the Wonder Years. For the ladies, a little Molly Ringwald in her heyday meets a buffet. Well that's a little harsh I suppose; there was only one whale in the bunch. What there weren't were attractive people. Male nor female. And yet one could still see the gears grinding in people's heads as they considered the prospects on hand (and there weren't even that many people in this place, and it was literally the only place open in town). I kind of felt sorry for them. Then again, maybe all the cool kids in town were hanging out in someones house playing dollar tournaments...

Another funny thing was that all the other guests at the B&B we were at were older and had either teenage kids or grandkids. They were all discussing problems they had with their (grand)kids or how happy they were to have the house to themselves again. They assumed the gf and I were married as well, and we played right along. They were worried that they were going to discourage us from having kids, and I tried to play that angle as well, but I don't think I did it with a straight face. Old people are weird.


Moral of the story: Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

P.S. - I suggest everyone take this test, and all the others on the page.

4 comments:

Allison said...

I've been to Cape May....in the middle of the summer. It's dead then too. It was also whale season. I think that's just part of the allure of Jersey girls. Also, I was always under the impression that Cape May was specifically geared more towards couples/older people. You're an old couple-man.

The Gideon said...

Hmmmmm. I hadn't heard about the whole old people thing. That would definitely explain some things. Oh well.

And I heard the whale watching sucks. Unless you're a merperson.

And no way am i an old couple-man. I mean, how do you explain my desire to read the paper instead of converse during breakfast and general prune-like aroma? Oh - wait...

Ngewo said...

Whale watching can be fun...and by whale watching, I mean sitting at the mall and laughing at fat chicks.

jason's sense of said...

did you know i've never eaten a banana? nor have i ever seen a whale. i also try to avoid new jersey.

you should use predatory price mechanisms on girlfriends...

man, i miss the 3 people on this page!