Wednesday, February 6, 2008

There Won't Be Editing

So I finally got around to seeing There Will Be Blood, and it was actually a lot better than I initially thought it would be. The plot boiled down to exactly what I perceived from the trailers: one guys rise to power via the early 20th century oil boom, with smatterings of religious fanaticism thrown in for good measure. That plot seemed pretty boring to me, at least for a movie that I'd pay $10 for, but it turned out to be pretty engaging.

I'm not going to turn this into a full fledged review, because I don't care that much, but it definitely could've used some trimming to the running time. It's unnecessary to pause for dramatic effect after every line of dialog. The same problem applied to The Assassination of Jesse James... I still enjoyed the movie though, and would place it above Michael Clayton in terms of the best picture noms, and maybe Juno, but probably not. I'd definitely put No Country and Atonement above it though.

On a side note, aging sucks. I can no longer throw myself down a flight of stairs without feeling it the next day. I did a one-two punch of football and basketball earlier in the week, and I still can't walk without a limp. Now I'm not sure if this is aging, per se, or just proof that I need to hit the ol' yoga class a bit more. Either way, life sucks for me right now.

On a note even further to the left than the one above, I spent over an hour yesterday studying palindromes and palindromic theory. Yeah, that wasn't a typo. This is what my life has come to. I had to buy stain proof pillow cases to shield my nightly tears from eating away at the down inside.

On a side note, a perfect finish is better than a perfect season.

5 comments:

J Offord said...

I dare to disagree with your opinion. None-the-less, if you're joining the fantasy baseball league this year, and it seems like you have the time, the ID# is 56608 and the password is pennstate.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on There Will Be Blood and The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford in Jesse's Living Room In Front of Sam Rockwell While Jesse's Wife is Outside (that was the original title but decided, "eh, a bit much"). Oh, and by the way, "SPOILER ALERT" for those of you who haven't seen the movie, sorry.

Anyway, both movies didn't need to be as long as they were, and I don't usually think that about movies. But they built way too much suspense in these two. And what was up with the music in There Will Be Blood? I felt like I was watching The Shining. Especially at the beginning, when nothing really was going on, but they still played the INTENSE music as if something was about to blow your mind... eventhough (SPOILER ALERT) nothing mind-blowing followed.

I definitely enjoyed Juno and No Country For Old Men a lot more than TAOJJBTCRF and TWBB. I've yet to see Atonement and Michael Clayton. Atonement's still playing here, I just can't find anyone who wants to go see it...

Ngewo said...

I really suck. I have seen Juno. I need someone down here to go to movies with.

Palindromic Theory...is that a class at Columbia? I have one of those pillowcases by the way.

When I fell and smacked my head a few weeks ago, I also hit my knee. Every time I sit in one position for too long (like 10 minutes) my knee completely locks up and I have a limp.

Anyways, sorry I could not contribute more to this discussion of editing.

The Gideon said...

Why does having seen Juno mean you suck?

Ngewo said...

haha, I meant that I suck because it's the only Oscar movie I have seen, not that I suck for seeing the movie...I was drunk when I commented.