Wednesday, January 23, 2008

...the grouch

It's that time again, boys and girls. I'll be the first to admit that I have an Oscar problem. An addiction, if you will. Alright, now that that's out of the way, on with the show!

Note: The following aren't my views of who's going to win, just random thoughts after seeing the nominees).

Best Picture
I suppose I'm okay with this years picks. 2k7 wasn't the best year when it comes to really great movies, so I don't believe there is a clear standout (national critics think otherwise). I've already seen 4 of the 5 choices, and out of those (Juno, No Country, Michael Clayton, Atonement) I think Atonement was the overall "best" picture. No Country was my favorite though, and runs a close second when it comes to best. I have yet to see There Will Be Blood, partly because it was the only movie from last year, aside from perhaps Epic Movie, in which after seeing the trailer I said "I have absolutely no interest in seeing this movie" (I haven't seen it, so I can't really pass judgment, but I said the same thing about the English Patient trailer), and partly because there were no ninjas in it.

Best Actor
This will probably go to big Danny, and I don't really have too much of a problem with that since I believe you can still have the best performance of the year in an okay movie (I'll stop Blood bashing now). My pick would be for Viggo, but then again, my pick means nothing.

Best Actress
The only movie I've seen in this category is Juno. And though it was a good performance I shy away from giving awards to child actors without a rich backlog since they might not even be acting at all. Maybe Ellen Page acts exactly like her character does. Do we know that she doesn't? I haven't watched her TV crap and she had about 3 lines in X3. I hear Julie Christie killed it though, so she's pretty much a lock.

Best Director
Hmmmm... my pick for best pic is the sole entry to not get a directors nod. How interesting. And gay. Since the auto Joe Wright pick is out, I've got to go with the Coen's. There direction was better anyway.

Best Animated Feature
I just want to know how Surf's Up got a nom over the Simpsons Movie. That's just rubbish. Not that it matters since Ratatouille is gonna win anyway. Half of the voters probably haven't even seen Persepolis, even with the screeners being sent out.

Best Special FX
I just want to know why 300 isn't in here. Or in the Art Direction category. Something!?! That just angers me greatly. And it'll be a travesty if Transformers doesn't win.

Best Song
Three songs from Enchanted? Again, I haven't seen the movie, but you'd think they'd throw Sweeney or Hairspray a bone. Either way, Once should win because the music in that movie was amazing. The movie itself was pretty amazing too. (Only movie soundtrack I got this year, well besides Jay-Z's American Gangster, but that had nothing to do with the movie).

Best Screenplay (Original)
I'd give this to Lars and the Real Girl, just because I felt it was really original, and the characters
were really different and came to life. I'd put Juno at a close second, but the ease at which you can write wiseacre children takes away some points.

Best Costumes
If Elizabeth wins this someone's getting their throat slit. That is all.


P.S. - You heard it hear first - Michael Clayton gets shut out.


P.P.S. - If anyone goes out to see Meet the Spartans this weekend, don't be surprised if you get your throat slit on the way out of the theater (I'd cut you in the theater, but I'd be afraid I might actually catch a glimpse of the "movie" and spontaneously implode from the epic funnilessness.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gideon,
you silly silly man. The reason that Sweeney and Hairspray can't get nominated for best song are because its best ORIGINAL song (meaning they would need something that wasnt actually in the musical to get a nod). Other than that I can't really comment on most of these movies because I have yet to see half of them (or more). I can't believe that Elizabeth got a single nomination, i guess i'd have to watch it to see why, but who the hell wants to watch that SHIT? And Johnny Depp as best actor ? really ? I like Sweeney Todd as much as the next guy .. but the acting wasnt ... great. But what do I know. It's all a bunch of who ha

-Adam

Adam said...

oh gideon, Sweetheart, I have decided to follow in your great footsteps and make up a blog of my own... for lack of other activities to really occupy my mind. Check me out i know you want to. bblakkat.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Are you gonna do an oscars poll this year? And if so, will I get anything for winning it this time?

The Gideon said...

Hmmm. I think I will do an oscar poll. i can't seem to find a site that is hosting private leagues though, so i may just have to do this myself.

J Offord said...

There Will be Blood blows No Country out of the water. I didn't see Juno, Clayton, or Atonement - but There Will be Blood should def win.