Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Be cool

I don't pay utilities in my apartment. As a consequence to that, building management controls when to switch over the central ventilation system to AC. They usually do it on memorial day, but perhaps because of rising oil prices they have yet to do it.

It has topped 95 every day this week.

This is not a good combination. There's a desert/rainforest effect going on in my pants. It never stays any one ecosystem for any discernible length of time. It's pretty much pot luck.

As a result of this, I refuse to go home after work. And really, wheres the best, cheapest place to spend a disturbingly hot day? That's right, the library. I decided to go to the movies, however; books are for squares.

So in 3 days I've seen Zohan, Indy 4, Speed Racer, Baby Mama, and What Happens in Vegas. I was fairly close to seeing Redbelt as well, but I was getting sick of whoppers (the delicious malted candy, not the delicious flame broiled patty). I'm pretty much movied out at this point. Luckily, I didn't feel any of them were a waste of time. Speed Racer did seem to have a few too many anti-capitalist monologues for a kids movie. Fortunately there was a chimp.

Now I'd say I'm pretty caught up this movie season (I think the only movie I wasn't able to see thus far was the Forbidden Kingdom). This weekend I'll probably catch the Incredible Happening. Both of them have the potential to be good, but the buzz on M. Night isn't too promising, nor is the buzz from Ed Norton. We shall see...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHY would you go see What Happens in Vegas???? Is it the heat? Are you delirious?? Did a girl make you go see it? You better have a reason... and a DAMN GOOD one!

I'm not excited about You Don't Mess With The Zohan, Baby Mama, or Speed Racer, but, I can let ya slide on those...

I'm guessing you already saw Iron-Man, Prince Caspian, Harold & Kumy 2, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and The Strangers? Well, I hope so... cuz if you went to see What Happens in Vegas before seeing any of those, you need to be penciled in for a sudden visit from the Angel of Death.

And as for The Incredible Hulk and The Happening: I'm more excited for The Happening. I have a feeling M Night's gonna make up for his last 2. Plus, I like that it's rated R, and I like Mark Wahlberg. I think The Incredible Hulk will be good. I really like Ed Norton, I've just never been crazy about the Hulk in general...

jason's sense of said...

uh... yea. never motivated to see speed racer... but now, with added anti-capitalist rants it might just make me laugh... i mean... wow. i love that people still think that capitalism isn't a winner.

Allison said...

thank you for describing the situation in your pants. I was definitely curious.

I don't even have a/c in my building. I threw a window unit and some plywood into the gaping hole that is a casement window and gently cry myself to sleep each night as I review why I live on the top floor of an unairconditioned building...and why I've stayed here 3 years. Feh.